Saturday, April 01, 2006

April GGP: Saturday, April 1

Second class trying to follow the game plan. The emphasis is passing the guard right now, and we did some guard-specific work in class today.

Tommy gave me some pointers on the Cesar pass. Mainly that after you hoist the guy up, bend your knees and rest his weight on your knees. Don't try to stand there holding the guy up with all your strength. Be ready to drop the knee!

I actually got side control momentarily when rolling with Tommy using the single-leg underhook and sprawl method Cesar points out. What was especially nice was that I was doing it to counter a triangle attempt. Insofar as I get caught by triangles, it was nice to see it work. I remember Cesar saying that if you get the right position--underhook reaching across to grab the opposite collar or shoulder, other arm's elbow tight against your side, outer leg sprawled for a good base--then it will actually help the pass if the guy tries to use a triangle against you.

That said, Jesse caught me in a triangle. I used the "talking on the phone" arm to defend for awhile, but he just keep pulling and eventually got my arm across.

There were some general pointers that are worth remembering whether or not I'll specifically put them in the April GGP. Tommy has incredible posture in the guard. Arnell and Big Mike are guys I've rolled with who've got that excellent posture. The way I've been breaking that down is by stepping on the hip--sometimes one hip, sometimes both--and moving to an open guard.

The thing is that if I drive the guy's leg back, straightening my legs in the process, then I lose my leverage. He can easily bear hug my legs and move to pass my guard.

What I need to do is to move from foot on hip to foot on shoulder. Try to maintain wrist control. But you want to reset your feet so that you've got them "cocked" and ready to press. Kid Peligro makes this point in The Essential Guard. Feet on shoulder is also a great prelude to an open guard triangle attack.

One thing I didn't do very well was TURN TOWARD THE SIDE that I'm pressing down in the standing guard pass. That not only helps keep me from being swept (feet perpendicular instead of parallel). But it also helps break open the guard when I step back and out. Plus, it makes it easier to drop either knee across the down leg.