Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Belt Requirements

I'm a not a big fan of formal "belt requirements" or belt tests. I much, much prefer the way Gracie Barra does it, where you are "tested" by the way you train, spar and, for some, compete.

I think that's a much more holistic way of evaluating when someone is ready to move to the next level. Knowing how to do a certain technique on an appointed day is very different from watching a student use a variety of techniques properly in class, during open mat, at tournaments. I know that if I were an instructor, it would be the latter that would leave the greater impression upon me.

That said, I always find it interesting to read the belt requirements of academies that do have formal requirements and tests. It's sort of a way of seeing how well I "measure up" in basic technical jiu jitsu knowledge.

Here's one from Alliance Jiu Jitsu, academy of the legendary, original "Jacare": Romero Cavalcanti, 6th degree black belt under Rolles Gracie.

It was nice to see that I could handle the blue belt requirements no problem--and many of the purple belt ones, as well. And that's including the self-defense!