Sunday, July 26, 2009

Training Days: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday

Blame it on the heat ... I've had a harder time than usual keeping up with my post-training posts this past week. I've had a great time in training, focusing particularly on standing to open and pass the guard for 75% of the time and only "resorting" to the Flat Pass when the guy is determined to break my posture and keep it close.

So far, it's not a bad one-two. I still don't have a "jeito" for actually passing the guard other than the Fowler Backstep. Nothing wrong with that, per se, but I'm still loitering around the "toreano" sections of both Jean Jacques and Saulo's books. Ultimately, I'll find something there that works for me.

Some memorable rolls this week with Bryan on Friday, Cindy on Thursday, an incredible, exhausting, mind-bending roll with Rodrigo on what must have been Tuesday, I think ... I found myself working a lot of top position this past week, particularly the baseball choke trick of crawling up toward the head to get the second hand insertion. But it is still a region in progress. I'm also working a lot on the cross collar and sleeve guard with either the sleeve side foot in the hip or the outside foot hooking the thigh or knee of the trailing leg. Mostly, I'm getting scissor and scissor/hook sweeps and transitions to half guard - which is fine.

This week marks my first four-week, training per week average of 4.0. I'd been at 3.75 for the previous two weeks. But it is nice to see the number tick up into the A range. Post-training weight all week has been outstanding: Mon (155.8), Tue (153.2), Thu (155.6), Fri (151.8). And I've got two sessions left (out of 10) of the "cardiac output" phase of my pre-camp aerobic conditioning program. So far, so good.