Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Good Glute! On Strength Training and Mount Escapes

Bret Contreras, "The Glute Guy," is someone I ran across over at TMuscle.com. His series, "Inside the Muscles" uses a quantitative approach to determine how to get the best mean and peak activation from the main bodyparts based on different lifts. If you are at all into strength training, Contreras' articles are worth a look.

Inside the Muscles: The Best Back and Biceps Exercises

Contreras also has a blog that I was reading earlier this evening. Here's one entry that especially caught my attention.

More Random Stuff
10. The Barbell Glute Bridge is Huge for MMA

I keep meaning to write an article on strength training for MMA purposes but I never seem to get around to it. As many know, I’m really strong at barbell glute bridges. In fact, I can currently barbell glute bridge 545 lbs for 6 reps.

How does this help in MMA? I could go on for an hour about how glute strength and glute power will increase striking, clinching, take-down, submission, and take-down defense abilities, but one specific situation is worth mentioning; the full mount.

Needless to say, I've added glute bridges to my strength training routine starting in August. This is about much more than mount escapes. Getting your butt off the ground is critical for just about every submission from the guard - armbar, triangle, omoplata - and this is probably one of the main reasons why my closed guard is so weak relative to my other guards.