Saturday, July 13, 2013

Bonney Lake: Jiu-Jitsu Capital of the Northwest

Another Revolution tournament in the books. At this point, I don't know which team won. But the event was another reminder of what a tremendous jiu-jitsu culture we have in the Pacific Northwest.

I couldn't be more proud especially of my Gracie Barra teammates - especially the tons of women competing. I heard someone from another school make a pretty snide comment about Gracie Barra after one of our folks won a close match, but I'll tell you what: I'll take our "Jiu-Jitsu for Everyone" approach over the "Only the Strong May Apply" ideology every damn day of the week.

It's true that a tournament is fundamentally an opportunity for competition and skill testing against new and unpredictable adversaries. It's also true that the Revolution tournaments are like a "Gathering of the Tribes", an opportunity for old friends to catch up and enjoy a jiu-jitsu atmosphere right here at home that would have been hard to imagine 10-15 years ago.

Congratulations to Jeff, Gina, and the rest of the Revolution team for another great event. See you in the fall!