Saturday, December 19, 2020

Attribute Oriented Jiu-Jitsu: Leveraging Length



Did a wingspan measurement this evening after doing some research on bicep/tricep hypertrophy strategies. Turns out that at 65" tall, I have a pretty outsized reach at 71". 

This has me thinking about some additional adjustments to my post-pandemic jiu-jitsu game. With regard to submissions, I'm a lot more interested in arm triangles than I used to be and am looking forward to spending a little time studying Ryan Hall's work in this regard.

There are also some interesting implications for passing. I've been inclined lately toward a tripod-float-smash hybrid / Demian Maia + Murilo Santana / wide base game. I don't see myself departing from that anytime soon. But the idea that I might have the attributes to incorporate a torreando-style passing attack a la Leandro Lo is pretty attractive. I'd been very interested in Lo back in the fall of 2019, but focused more on the ferocity of his attack than its technical merits. May be time to bring his beat back.