Monday, April 05, 2010

Training Day: Monday

Cual es mas macho? El academia o el fitness club?

Fundamentals
6a: Mon am/pm, Wed pm
1. 1-2 punch, front kick to shot with in-to-out reap takedown
2. Headlock escape on the ground: bridge and post, bridge and roll
3. Armlock from side control (arm on northside of head)

I never really wondered what it would take to make me feel unwelcome in my own academy. Unfortunately, I know exactly what it would take and, having experienced it for the second time in the past several months, I can at least take growing refuge in the notion that I'm better equipped to deal with it than I was before.

Day one of TAS felt both uncomfortable and strangely comfortable at the same time. It will probably just take some getting used to. But after darting in that direction and then recoiling in a fit of guilt again and again over the past two or three years, that direction has increasingly become a welcome destination - and maybe even the key to getting where I want to go.

Class kind of fell apart after the specific training involving headlock escapes and the side control. Things dissolved into an open mat which typically has been disastrous in terms of finding a decent sparring partner quickly and getting my mat time in before I've got to run. TAS is helping out tremendously on that score - at least it did today - and will be my guideline going forward whenever the moment arises.

That said, some halfway decent work in sparring with Troy. I didn't get to work on any real guard passing. But what I was able to do from my back in terms of both defending the pass and maintaining an aerobic pace went pretty well - especially for a Monday.

No weight today because I wasn't in the mood to play the scale game. But I'm feeling pretty good (again, especially for a Monday) and there are no deadlines to make.