Monday, May 24, 2010

8 Weeks Out: Conditioning/Training Schedule

Sunday:
Aerobic Capacity - Ground

Monday:
BJJ

Tuesday:
Tempo Training
BJJ/Competition Training

Wednesday:
OFF

Thursday:
Threshold Training
BJJ

Friday:
BJJ/Competition Training
(No Gi)

Saturday:
Aerobic Capacity - Standing

*

Here's the schedule for the next month or so. The focus in on general endurance, splitting aerobic capacity into a two-day "ground" and "standing/LSD3" component. The idea is to build up my cardio to allow me to train longer and more intensely over the next eight weeks. If there was one thing I took away from my match with Sauleh on Saturday, it was about upping the intensity. Rodrigo has been exhorting us in that direction for the past few weeks. It's time to make that a training priority and off-mat aerobic capacity work should help.

Later on, I'll switch up to a more explosive, power-endurance based workout. But to get things started, this is the right focus.

I did the aerobic capacity - ground workout today, essentially 30 minutes of matwork, the 360 drill, my 1/2 guard leg drill and armlocks with The Chair Guard at a moderate pace. My right inner thigh has been very sore all day, which is probably a good thing. I'm icing it like crazy. Other than that, though, I worked up an excellent sweat and my HR was around the high 130s low 140s, at least, which is good. I'm going to have to lower The Chair Guard at some point, and add some weight in order to make it work (right now, I'm afraid to do the full 90 degree rotation for the armbar for fear of toppling the thing). But I think the components are there. I've long wanted an aerobic workout that was purely jiu jitsu oriented and now I think I've got it - or at least the know-how to put one together.

Skills focus for Week One is transitioning to slingshot guard. I'm looking to poach a training partner to work on both the slingshot armdrag and slingshot sweep (the Renzo). The position escape I want to drill is rear mount and the submission escape is, you guessed it, the triangle. The pass is the 1/2 guard knee wedge to backstep.