Friday, June 11, 2010

Training Day: Friday

A nice review session to end the week. We continued working with escapes from headlocks and side control.

The highlight of today's training, though, was getting to roll with Cindy. It has probably been almost a year since we were able to get in a full 5+ minute roll, but things pretty much picked up where we left off, with me fighting off one submission after the other. This time both a Baratoplata and a triangle had me pre-occupied on the defense side for a significant share of our mat time.

Cindy is one of the best people for me to work with, especially in terms of flow and movement. I have a relatively slow, tight game, which is fine. But I need to do a better job of selectively turning up the heat at critical moments in order to take best advantage of opportunities. I'll never have a game as active as Cindy's. But rolling with her is a constant reminder of the rewards of movement.