Monday, April 04, 2011

Rei Rodolfo

When I listed some of my top memories from a weekend of watching the Pan 2011 Jiu Jitsu championships, the performance of Rodolfo Viera was at the top of my list.

In turns out I wasn't alone. The other evening, while training with Prof Rodrigo, I heard Lance talking about how impressed he was by the irresistible top pressure and passing game of Viera.

Here's an interview that Gracie Magazine did with the absolute and weight class black belt winner of the 2011 Pan - including footage of one of his tougher matches of the tournament.

Rodolfo going for the gold in Abu Dhabi
Does your winning two divisions at the Pan make you confident you can repeat the feat at the World Pro?

The Pan gave me a lot of confidence because pretty much all the current top fighters were there. I feel that to win weight and open weight I had to fight really well. I only got tired in a couple of matches, when I felt my grip wearing out a but, but in the others I was fresh. That did give me a lot of confidence. I hope it will stay that way in Abu Dhabi. There the fights will only be six minutes, so there will be no way to get tired.