Monday, April 11, 2011

Six Weeks Out

As life at The Daily Planet increasingly has become life on my own Private Little Asteroid, I'll admit that it has been difficult to keep the focus necessary to train at a good level. A weak Week One, was followed by a solid Week Two which was followed by another lackluster week. Heading into training on Monday, my four-week training average will be 1.25.

The good news is that the training I did on Saturday showed me that I'm not slipping much. To the positive, I've been able to work in the Rickson from top control after a few days of studying Henry Akins instruction of it (see it again here)

And I was at least 50% impressed with my squat pass the Saturday before. So the paltry per week training pace over the last three hasn't been entirely ruinous. But given that my goals are to improve at a much more rapid pace, steady-as-he-goes is not going to work.

If I can train four times a week for the next five weeks, then I'll have a 4-week training MA of 4.0 going into fight week, which is as good as anything I've expected of myself in the past. Essentially, a 4-week training MA of 4.0 means that you've trained four times a week for the past month, which is a solid, competition pace for the average, amateur competitor.

This shouldn't be too much of a problem. The real goal is to get that 4-week training average up to 5.0 heading into fight week by adding in a few open mats/Live Training sessions in the morning or on the weekend. That would be possible with one 4x week out of the next five weeks (the rest would have to be 5x). But again, potential am and Sunday sessions could actually make this a doable project.

To a degree, a lot of this depends on how things go off the mat. The vagaries of wage slavery have been a bigger distraction over the past 30 days than they've been in more than three years. And while I seem to have come out on top - and in far better shape than others - it is not without a world to bear.