Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Wednesday Night Training

Been under a bad sign all day, a sour times that kept me from my scheduled rounds with the dumbbells and treadmill. No hotel in Honolulu for me - and training some tonight was definitely worthwhile - but this is the kind of time off I can afford (and need to get out of my system) early in the 8 Weeks.

Wednesday's are Jesse's nights and we worked quite a bit of stand-up: double legs and hip tosses (both the kubi nage/head-lock throw and a counter to the body lock where you whizzer the side opposite the attacker's head, cup the elbow on the head-side arm and turn in the direction of the head to toss with a hip, uchi mata or trip-stle takedown.

Very well done. It was nice to get some standup in. I'm not one of those guys who thinks that you have to do standup every day necessarily - though I did think that Mamazinho's standup drills weren't a bad way to start a class. But it is good to do some sort of standing work at least once or twice a week. I like the fact that Rodrigo has made standup part of the warm-up for the advanced class.

Back on the mat tomorrow night. It's been a weird and wearying week. I'll be glad to get to the leisurely end of it.