Friday, September 09, 2005

The Day Before Copa Northwest 5

I'm fighting tomorrow morning in the Copa Northwest 5 Tournament. The location is our gym in the Tully's building, so that familiarity will help a lot.

I'm a little over 160 now. I don't know if the scale will have me in the 146-158 division or the 159-171 division. Myguess is that it will be the later. Going forward, I don't see myself at 159-171, at all. I think 155-150 is my ideal "muscular" range. But I'm not going to get worked up over it. It's my first tournament. It will be interesting to see how I match up. I don't see myself getting into really good cardio shape and being over 160, though. I could lose ten pounds from my mid-section, be at 150 and loving it.

The Fight

I'm not going to worry about takedowns. If the guy is bigger and slower, then I'll shoot. Otherwise, I'll try to either trip/sweep or hip throw.

A couple of things:

Passing the guard: The "sharp elbow behind the knee" move is popular to open the guard. I like the Saulo Ribeiro technique with the leg split and hipping out with the hand on the belt for leverage best. If I try the standing pass that Rodrigo taught us Thursday, I need to remember:
1. Grab the lapel and fist into solar plexis.
2. Grip the sleeve tightly.
3. Step with the sleeve leg and rise keeping the grip arm taut and the ELBOW INSIDE THE THIGH.
4. Palm the opposite knee (lapel grip side) and hip out quickly.

Joe managed to sweep me repeatedly during sparring when I tried this pass. I'm searching the Net for a counter, or to see what I'm doing that makes me so vulnerable to this sweep. I know one mistake is not keeping my posture as upright as possible.

The other pass I like is the one where you grab the opposite pant leg underneath and, with that leg trapped, step in the direction of the leg you've grabbed and work for side mount. You might have to do that flying pivot to the other side if he counteres by pushing up on your hips.

The Renzo/Royler book talks about shooting your arm between your body and the guard. Then hook your shoulder deep under his thight and do a sort of circular stack to that side. Sprawl to keep your legs away from his hands and work for side control.

Those are my passes: Saulo Ribeiro, standing, under leg pants grip, inside arm shoot and scoop.

A COUPLE OF THINGS TO REMEMBER
Keep your back and posture straight while in the guard. You get nothing by getting low (head to chest) in the guard. PASS. PASS. PASS.

The only attack from inside the guard is the thrusting choke (amassa pao). If the collar is too loose, this will be a difficult attack. It is good for opening the guard, though, because his hands will be occupied trying to fight the choke.

Basically, the amassa pao has you pull down on one side of the collar while you pull over and across the throat with the other. Same-side grips.

Side mount attacks
The best attack from side mount is to get full mount as far as I'm concerned. If I get side control, then I need to move as soon as possible to full mount. I think there is a let down when a guy gets side mounted, just a second when he goes, "aw shit, he passed my guard." In that moment, I need to move to mount. I like the knee grab that Rodrigo taught us best for moving from side to mount.

North-south isn't bad. If he reaches back in "stick-up" fashion, then he'll be vulnerable to a key lock. Grab the wrist with the same-side hand. The opposite side arm is the reach-under arm. Otherwise, I like north-south as a way to get to side mount.

FROM SIDE MOUNT
Rodrigo taught us a move where you use the head-side arm to trap his opposite arm, then reach over and get a kimura lock with your other hand. Reverse and open your hips to the head side and crank the lock. The coup de grace is stepping over the head.

There is an armbar variation from this position also if he extends the arm.

FROM MOUNT
From mount, my game is pretty straightforward: go for the amassa pao thrusting choke and be ready to hit the armbar if he overcommits to defending the choke. I can also use key lock attempts to set up the armbar.

Attacks from the guard
This is definitely my weakest area. I'll even consider standing out of the guard, Marc Laimon style, if necessary to avoid being passed. If I do this, though, I need to go aggressively for a takedown because standing out of the guard (instead of attacking from the guard) is a little controversial it seems.

My triangle choke should be vicious, given my leg strength. But I just don't trust it. I need to review the attacks from the guard Rodrigo taught us, as well as the ones in my Machado Encyclopedia.