Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Mamazinho's Feitosa Swing

Here's what I've got in my notes from Monday's gi class on the sweep Mamazinho was showing. I call it Feitosa Swing, but reading Tommy's blog makes me wonder if it is really a de la Riva guard technique at root.

Version 1. Cuff and same side collar.
1) Feitosa swing out. Inside foot in hip.
2) Grab inside cuff and pass cuff between guy's near leg and grip with outside hand (behind him)
3)Inside hand grabs far collar
4)Sit in (escaping your hips to the outside), rotating your far shoulder into the guy and pulling on the far collar, taking the guy face down. Use the trapped arm to keep the inside of his body in place.

Version 2.
Sometimes the guy will step into you when you set up the Version 1. sweep. In this case, you want to roll him back over the inside shoulder.

1) So instead of grabbing the far collar, hook under the far leg at the knee.
2) Roll back and into his lower legs on your inside shoulder. You'll be ducking low in front and between his legs in front of him.
3) I think a key to this roll is to focus on pulling the trapped arm through with a "unsheathing the sword" action. I think that helps get you rolling in the right direction.

I want to double check the rolls on this. Generally in jiu jitsu, you'd rather be pulling than pushing. And I think the rolls as described are faithful to that idea ...