Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Scissors Sweep from Abhaya

Google is genius in many things. But You Tube has definitely got them beat when it comes to posting video clips to your blog.

Scissors Sweep from Abhaya

There are two details here that I've been missing when I've tried scissors sweeps. The first is to give yourself room on the hip/elbow escape. The Abhaya guy calls it the "snake move" or something like that. The point is that you don't want to be so close that you can't pull the guy toward you as part of the sweep.


The other detail is to sit up on the outside elbow before you scissor the sweep. I hadn't heard that before, so I wonder if it is an optional aspect of the sweep. One interesting thing is that if you don't give yourself enough room on the escape, you'll never be able to sit up on that outside elbow.

Notes: Look for the S-mount armbar/choke combo immediately after a successful scissors sweep. Remember also that the scissors sweep is part of my armbar/cross choke/scissor sweep series that I've included in the gameplan.