Wednesday, February 28, 2007

How's Your Portuguese?

For a few months, I had a jiu jitsu "crush" on the game of Fabricio Werdum. It struck me after watching an ADCC match between him and Matt Lindland--a match I've posted about before. Maybe it was the sweet armbar from rear mount finish, or the windmill sweep attacks, or that crazy judo armlock he kept trying to throw on Lindland straight out of the closed guard. Hell, maybe it was the Tabla music playing in the background. But for a while, I was trying to see as much Werdum in action as I could.
I'm over that. (now I'm obsessed with Robert Drysdale's game ...). But I'm still keeping tabs on Werdum. Here's a recent interview with Fabricio taken from Tatame magazine. It's in Portuguese, and I was surprised at how much of it I can still read. Speaking and understanding spoken Portuguese remains another thing, altogether. But it is nice to know that I haven't lost everything I spent a few years back in the late 1980s trying to put together.