Tuesday, May 08, 2007

ADCC 2007

ADCC 2007 Results

ProElite.com provided a live, streaming broadcast of the event from Saturday morning to Sunday afternoon. Unbelievable. I had a bunch of writing to do and some yardwork--as well as shopping for Mother's Day presents!--but I'm glad I popped for the $20 bucks for the broadcast anyway. I managed to see a number of nice matches including some matches featuring Leozinho, Drysdale, Marcelinho, Galvao, Pe de Pano, Werdum, Avellan ... I saw Rani's division-winning submission of Leo Viera. I saw Marcelo Garcia beat both Rolles Gracie and Cacareco en route to a second place finish in the Absolute ... I saw Cindy lose a close, close match to the woman who went on to win the division ... I even got to see Eric Dahlberg--who I didn't know was competing--make top contender Pablo Popovitch work hard for a decision win.

Mike Fowler, Saulo Ribeiro, Renzo Gracie ... I saw Roger Gracie and Jon Olav Einemo in a very fun superfight (Roger won on points).

I'm sure there are a number of fights I got to see that I can't recall right now. Suffice to say that it was a great weekend of jiu jitsu, and major props to everyone who competed.

And thousand thanks are due to On the Mat and ProElite for making this event available on the Internet.

I thought--and still think--that the ADCC 2005 dvd was worth every penny I spent on it. And if I find myself in a momentary lapse of discipline, I'm likely to pick up ADCC 2003, also. But let there be no mistake: ADCC 2007 should be up there with the Submissions 101 series and Laimon's No-Gi Remix in terms of "must own" jiu jitsu DVDs.