Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The Next Four

I've spent four weeks in what I've called "pre-training." That includes three weeks of 2x/week training Tuesdays and Thursdays (gi and no gi, respectively), and one week of 1x/week (Tuesday) and two seminars (Thursday and Friday).

The next phase is four weeks of 3x/week training. I'm looking at training on the evenings of Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Gi with Rodrigo. Gi with Stephan. No gi with Rodrigo.

I'm thinking that there will be a tournament sometime in early September. The last day of this second four-week period is September 7th, so hopefully nothing will be scheduled before then (at least, hopefully, nothing from Gracie Barra).

There are a few things that I need to spend the next four weeks working on--and just as diligently as I've been doing my evening stretching. I think these are the things that keep me from feeling "true blue" as a blue belt on the mat.

Takedowns

Not a huge priority compared to other areas. But definitely something to keep attention on. Right now, I'm looking at three attacks: double legs, arm drags, and the Feitosa series (inside leg tripo, uchi mata, ankle pick).

Guard Pass

Crucial. No other way to describe it. It is absolutely critical that my guard passing skills improve.

There are three passes that I have some confidence with, even if it is rarely displayed on the mat. The standing sleeve pass where you grab a sleeve, the handcuff pass where you pin the guy's arm behind his back, and the Saulo ground pass.

What I need to do is run through the scenarios of setting these passes up. My thinking is that I need to always look to catch an arm. If I do that, I can hit the standing sleeve pass or the handcuff. If the guy moves his arms to keep them away from me, then I need to immediately go to the Saulo ground pass. If he brings his hand/arm back into play to stop my Saulo ground pass, then I switch back to the standing sleeve or the handcuff.

Half-guard sweeps

Tackle. Twist. Take-the-back. More accuracy would be good, but mostly more aggression is what is called for here. Get sideways. Get small. Get the sweep.

Escapes

Mount/rear mount. Side control. North-south.

Finishes from Above

Mount/technical mount: choke, armlock, katagatame
Rear mount/back control: choke, armlock, mata leao
Side control/side mount: kimura/keylock, Far Side/Watch Dog armbar, Babe Ruth

Attacks from Below

Tommy Gun
H. Rap Brown
King Crimson
The Widow
Scissorhands
transition to Cobra guard/transition to half-guard