Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Into the Autumn

I don't remember whether or not I tend to get sick when summer turns to fall. But that was certainly the case this year. It seemed like autumn came crashing in, like something expected but nonetheless too soon. One day it was a balmy 78, the next day we are barely above 65. We actually blazed up the fireplace last Saturday afternoon.

Sore throat, congestion, general weariness really since that Wednesday when I bailed on post-class sparring. I didn't think I was sick then, just tired and wanting to get to the weekend where the six-hour performance of GATZ awaited. Without getting into the particulars, all I wanted was to make it to Saturday night's event without getting injured or sick. That accomplished, I proceeded swiftly thereafter to get both.

The "injury" was minor and self-inflicted: tearing up my knee a little bit practicing double leg takedowns at home. The sickness is what it is--or, fortunately, was what it was. I'm feeling much better as of Monday and am looking forward to getting on the mat tonight and getting my preparations for the November 10th tournament underway.

A couple of thoughts. Working out in the mornings before work is not going to work. It may have in the past, but I'm just feeling tired all the time. So rather than continue to force the issue, I'm just going to have to put in the extra effort on Saturday and Sunday. Maybe I can squeeze in one weekday morning cardio session or something, also. But I probably will do myself better by getting eight hours of sleep every night than trying to climb on the treadmill at 6 every morning.

I've got both a competition and a practice gameplan set up for November 10th. I'm not sure how much of it I should post--since it is my first blue belt competition, I'm tempted to post the whole thing. In any event, the point is to keep it simple--which I've done--and to make sure I work my gameplans in pratice so that I know what I can count on five weeks from now.

Anyway, I'm looking to be back on the mat tonight, Wednesday and Thursday. We'll see what comes of it.