Sunday, September 14, 2008

Half to X, Half Sweep, Half Counter

Going into Week 3, I want to start working on transitions from half guard to X guard. Over the past two weeks I've been working to get deeper and deeper into half guard, which is good preparation for the next move to X guard.

I need to remember to use my far leg (left) to stretch the guy's leg out to make it easier to insert the inside leg hook (same side as X guard leg underhook arm - the right, in my case).

I'm looking forward to working on this for the next four weeks, adding some sweeps as soon as possible.

At the same time, I don't want to get too sloppy with my basic half guard sweeps (Old School and Twist Back). I'm noticing that I'm forgetting to use my outside leg as the primary hook when I'm attacking with either of those two keep sweeps. It is important in both but critical in Twist Back. With Old School, you just get in your own way. With Twist Back, not using the outside leg means that you'll get your guard passed as soon as you open up for the sweep.

I also want to tighten up my Watch Dog half guard "ballerina pass". Head down and tight against his leg. Weight on his hips but my hips on the mat. Rolling with Jaime on Thursday, he figure out a crossover sort of counter to that pass. But my mistake was simply in not putting my weight on him and starting to sit up. I still like the pass, a lot.

The best counter I've seen to it is the one that Saulo shows in his DVD set - a counter that is pretty similar to the one I remember Rodrigo showing Clint one night when we were sparring. Basically, you want to come up on your outside elbow as soon as the guy reverses into Watch Dog. With your inside arm, you want to reach between you and his back and grab his belt or pants below the waistline.

Trap the half guard with your outside leg.

The move is explosive. You want to pull on the belt or pants with a ripping, arm drag like pull. At the same time, you want to hipscape/switch from being on the one hip to the other. You are opening your hips up to the same side that you are pulling with the drag.

At a minimum, the move will give you the opportunity to re-establish half guard. At best, you'll be able to take the guy's back (which he has essentially given you by going to Watch Dog).

*

Another point about passing from the Watch Dog position. Remember that when you pass with Watch Dog and move to mount, there's a good chance if the guy is sharp that he'll work to put your other leg in half guard. Avoid this by doing up on one knee, planting the foot of the "other side" (other than the "step over into mount" side). When the coast is clear, switch back into regular mount.