Friday, April 20, 2012

Training Day: Friday

Was actually too sore to train Thursday night, the conditioning I did before Wednesday's training coming back with a vengeance later that night. There's probably an argument here for training a little less frequently, but for longer durations, something I sent in Jei's general direction as a meme that might be explored in a Roll.Adapt.Win poll. After all, it's all about adaptation, figuring out what combination of regularity, intensity, and duration will give you the results and the progress you want. I'm finding that training 3-4 days a week, right now at least, is leaving me with both enough recovery time and enough hunger to return to the mat, to keep me feeling that I'm training at a good pace that is conducive to improvement in the short-term and the long-term.

Today was mostly a combination of conditioning work and Live Training. I'd hoped to make the regular class; Friday is often a good opportunity for the weekly review. But any time on the mat is better than time off the mat, so it was good to get what I could get. During Live Training I got to spend some time with Brian, including some focus time on lower body attacks, specifically straight ankle locks and kneebars. Of the two, I think I was most impressed by the potential behind the kneebar attack we drilled; a modified backstep pass type entry.

159.2 on the scale, post-train. Subtracting 5.5 pounds for a wet gi puts me exactly where I want to be. And to say that I'm looking forward to training tomorrow would be the understatement of the century.