Monday, September 10, 2012

Training Daze

If I wait for the pace of training to slow down before I get back to writing regularly, then there's a good chance that I won't be posting punctually until 2020 - or later.

My four-week training average is at a very nice 4.5x.  What's even nicer is that I've been at this pace for fully seven weeks, helping me put in my best two training months ever - at least in terms of volume.

We'll see what September brings.  If I end up teaching morning classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, then the moving average will be completely blown up in all likelihood.  It's been the morning classes on Fridays that have made it so much easier to get that fourth or fifth session in each week.  So I can only imagine what will happen if and when the Dawn Patrol gets rolling on Tuesdays and Thursdays, as well.  Prof Rodrigo announced to the class on Saturday that the new Tuesdays and Thursdays were postponed for a week (surprise!).  And given my relationship to good news these days, I'm bracing myself for further rollback.  Now that I think of it, I'm not sure if the Wednesday sessions I was going to teach have been postponed also.

As usual, high training frequency, especially when it consists of traditional classes, means that my own personal technical development has been a little scattershot over the past several weeks.  There are some nice surprises: far more armbars than usual, for example.  But I'm only slowly coming to some of the other technical features I've been wanting to work on: more from the deep half, counters to the backstep pass vs the half guard, the barataplata guard, back control and attacks ...  Always the balance between what you've set out to accomplish and what challenges appear en route.

157.5 post-train - and very much post re-hydration.  I was down to 153.5 or so on Saturday after training Friday morning, Friday afternoon and again Saturday afternoon.  There was probably a little more caloric restriction and dehydration involved than I want to admit.  But finding myself well-within the pena category without (necessarily) trying was noteworthy, I thought.

Back at it tomorrow night for what should be a pretty intense advanced session.