Monday, March 19, 2007

Errata: Old School, Crimson

When trying to work the old school half guard sweep, I need to make sure I come up on the inside knee.

I've been doing a better job of coming up on the outside hip. But that's not enough leverage to be able to pull the far leg out from under the guy. It's also poor positioning in trying to "tackle" the guy over.

I was a little hesitant to put weight on my right knee. Still, I've only hit Old School once or twice. Getting on my outside hip was good. Coming up on the inside knee will make the sweep work.

There's a good reason why crimson is called the hip bump sweep. I had a little success with it a few weeks back and tried it again tonight. Close, but no cigar. The problem was that I was essentially just trying to pull the guy over. I never made hip-to-chest contact, the "bump" that puts the guy off balance. It's that loss of balance that makes it easier to then "pull the guy over."

We did a lot of guard/pass guard work tonight (in addition to some more SWAT Team stuff that I'll post later). I had a hard time keeping the closed guard tight, and if somebody pushed down on my right knee that was pretty much it for the full guard. I tried to work a little spider guard--and I'll give myself a little gold star for actually thinking to try spider guard. But the absence of a specific plan only helped it stave off the inevitable.

My lower body movement--or the lack thereof--was the issue tonight in many ways. The knee made me more reluctant than usual, but it is still a major weak spot.

On the bright side, I did like some of the work from the top I did in terms of working from Watch Dog. Nothing spectacular, at all. But it was worth feeling how effective Watch Dog was at controlling the legs after passing the guard.