Friday, March 09, 2007

Slim Shady

I'm calling Rodrigo's escape from the armbar on the bottom (see why I'm getting into the nicknames?) "Slim Shady." "Good2Go" will remain "Good2Go" until further notice.

One thing I like about Slim Shady as an escape is that the hand position mimics one recommended by Aesopian and the Straight Blast Gym folks when trapped in side control. They call it the "straightjacket".

Basically your inside arm is kept low and bent across your waist. Your outside arm is across your chest, palm out, protecting your neck. As an armbar escape, that inside arm is higher up, gripping the lapel to defend the arm. But the hand positions are similar enough (particularly compared to what I usually do), that I'm calling both positions "Slim Shady."

One of the things about the Slim Shady when caught in side control is that you can use your inside arm to help break any grip on your inside pant leg, a grip that can block your attempt to escape your hips to the outside, create space and go to knees. I'm thinking that reaching down to control the wrist, then kicking the leg away before pivoting into the drop step might be the way to make it work.