Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Purple Parabens for Tomas

I just happened to click on the webpage of my jiu jitsu academy and found this under the "Belt Listings" heading ...

OMG! (as the kids say) ... Tommy got his PURPLE!

Absolutely great news. A lot of cliched things tend to get said when guys advance, but its my blog and I'll cliche if I want to. Tommy is not only very talented and creative on the mat. But he's shown a ton of character by offering to help out any serious student who comes his way (yours truly included).

A great competitor and a patient teacher, Tommy is somebody that a lot more people in the jiu jitsu world are going to learn about in the next few years. And I'm just glad that I'll be around to watch it happen.

Props also go out to Lance who, if I'm reading the rest of the listing correctly, also got promoted to purple recently. I don't recognize all the names (faces are easier than names on the mat), there are a few names I don't see that I should (where's Griff and newly-minted black belt Michelle?), and I'm glad that my prodigal ass was graciously included even though I've been on the shelf since April ...

But it's all good. And just making me all the more eager to get back on the mat.