Friday, August 15, 2008

Marcelo in the Pacific Northwest

a.k.a. an opportunity of a lifetime.

I have no plans of rolling with Marcelo Garcia, arguably the greatest jiu jitsu fighter alive (along with Roger, Xande, Jacare, Cobrinha ... ). And, truth told, a photograph with him is probably not the most likely thing in the world either (though I am bringing my book for an autograph).

But the opportunity to take a seminar and learn some of the current projects of one of the true innovators of jiu jitsu is beyond belief. I have heard nothing but unbelievable things from people who've taken seminars with Marcelo Garcia, and am excited to soon be a part of that lucky cohort who have. I kicked myself for missing Minotauro and Anderson Silva when they came to town several months ago. But catching two days worth of Marcelo Garcia is a chance I'm not going to miss.

Marcelo Garcia Two-Day Seminar

Outside of Rodrigo and Cindy, obviously, Marcelo Garcia's game is the one that has the most elements that I want to adopt, particularly his butterfly and X-guard game. We have a similar body type: slightly above average reach and strong, heavy legs, so it makes sense that a lot of what works for Marcelo might work for me.

I'm also thinking that the seminar will serve as a nice halftime show between my experimental period now and my pre-tournament period starting in late September. I'm hoping to work my butterfly and half guard games simultaneously up to that point. See what Marcelo shows us that might be a nice addition to what I'm trying to do. Then, last, pick a gameplan out of what has worked over the past several weeks and train it exclusively for the final seven weeks going into the Revolution event.