Saturday, August 23, 2008

Thursday Night Training, Part 2

Cindy led no gi. She emphasized double leg takedowns for the most part, as well as sprawls and sitouts.

Cindy continues to emphasize the role of turning the corner on the double leg in order to get the maximum leverage for the takedown. It's a key flaw in my double legs, which tend to resemble tackles more than true wrestling takedowns. It means having to pass the guard, which is another whole task in and of itself. So there's a real benefit to getting the proper takedown.

Another point Cindy makes about the sitout against a sprawl is to shoot as far out as possible with the sitout. This is worth remembering as I do my jiu bata training at home. Like with the hipscape, you want to go deep, to really make the move. In both cases, you are trying to move your hips - not just your "body" in some generic way.

When you first start learning jiu jitsu, you are focused on trying to move your "body" in ways that seem completely counter-intuitive. But what are doing in almost every instance is moving your hips: forward or backward, turning them to face one direction or the other. Everything you do with your legs or torso or arms (and pretty much in that order of importance) is to set up the proper positioning of your hips. I think that realizing that makes everything you need to do, and do properly, that much easier.

I had a good night of sparring: the first armlock from the guard in maybe ever, another omoplata, some good attack and defense with the handcuff. Even though I only got in two days of training this week, I can feel myself starting to "fill out" and add more and more things to what I'm trying to do on the mat. Maybe 3-4 times a week will prove to be too ambitious. But if I can keep up this pace of at least 2-3 times a week (more often 3 than 2), then I think I'll be glad I did.