Monday, December 08, 2008

Monday Night Training

Rodrigo was out sick tonight. I actually thought I saw him pulling out of the driveway as I was walking up.

I had hoped to arrive early enough to participate in Lindsey's class (something I'm thinking about making a permanent part of my Monday schedule) and lucked out. We worked some techniques from knee on belly, mostly the baseball choke and an armlock attack if the guy tries to defend the baseball choke. The detail with the armlock is to bring your far leg up behind the need of the guy's defending arm, keeping the elbow up. Reach over with your north side grip and push the arm further over across the guy's body/face before swinging the leg over and sitting down into the armlock.

Sparring was great. I rolled with both Steve and Clint, two of my favorite people to roll with over the past several months. Overall, I thought my movement wasn't bad - though I still need to get better about initiating the action from the guard position. Some of the half guard things I'd wanted to work on, like passing the lapel between the legs to get a better grip in deep half guard, worked like a charm.

All in all a nice first class after promotion. I'll grow into this purple belt sooner or later.