Thursday, May 28, 2009

Thursday Training

I expected Cindy to teach the no gi class Thursday, but while she was there for the kids class - and to help do a little impromptu striking instruction with Angela - she ended up taking off and Steve led the class.

Steve did another great job. I forgot that he used to teach in China - it makes sense that his classes are so well-structured. After a moderate, but full-body oriented warm-up, we did a crossover sweep/situp drill with a partner (50x each), then worked on the crossover sweep, the kimura off the crossover sweep, and a counter to the crossover sweep that has you hug the body tight between your arm and shoulder, stuff the knee inside with your other hand, take a big deep step with that leg and slide around to the back with the harness/seat belt grip.

It's a great move, and even though my leg cramped massively when I went for the crossover during the sparring, it is still one of my favorite sweeps and one I'll be sure to incorporate more into my game from the bottom.

A good day on the mat. I'm feeling better and better about my conditioning even if my weight has remained higher than I'd like (161.2 after training!). I'll start tightening things up in June.