Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Cobrinha the Baker?

Here's a great little interview with Rubens Charles aka "Cobrinha" who is coming to Seattle for a seminar this April.

The second most fun thing I found out about him was that he began his training in 2000, and got his black belt the same year I began training in 2005.

The first most fun thing about Cobrinha? Before he was a world class jiu jitsu martial artist, he was a hard-working, neighborhood baker:
Before jiu jitsu, I liked my life very much. I enjoyed capoeira and I also enjoyed being a baker, which was my primary way to earn money. Jiu jitsu has given me an opportunity to travel much more than I did previously, and I have been privileged to meet people from many different cultures. I have a better respect for people's lives all over the world. My success in jiu jitsu has also put me in a position where some people look up to me. That is both a big honor and very humbling at the same time.
Although I have a tendency to try and be "carb-agnostic" from time to time, my love of many a leavened bread is such that I can't help but appreciate the fact that Cobrinha was a baker in his Clark Kent life.