Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Training Day: Tuesday

161.2 on the scale post-train.

That about sums it up right now. I'm trying to avoid doing the sort of calorie restriction that's always helped me slice down into the high 150s when necessary. And now increasingly is acting like when.

It's frustrating. Tonight's advanced class was as rigorous as we've had since the new curriculum was implemented. Takedowns, then more takedowns, then guard/pass guard. Repeat three times. Then three, 4-minute rounds of guard/pass guard (a total of 24 minutes since each person did both). It was one hell of a session and very much like what I'm hoping advanced classes will be like going forward.

So all that sweating and threshold style training and what's my reward? A paltry 161.2 on the scale afterwards.

We'll see what happens after a fast tomorrow. I'm scheduled to do another two-a-day (I did 30 minutes of threshold training this morning) - actually a three-a-day if you consider the aerobic power workouts and strength-aerobic workouts to be separate, which they are. But that may be a bridge too far. I'm not training Thursday night, but will be training on Friday, so we'll just have to see how everything shakes out.

Today's Fundamentals class included much repeat material from Monday's day class: the escape from the rear bear hug (arms out), and the pendulum sweep. I didn't get to work with anyone for the rear bear hugh counter, so I did my typical shadow-grappling off to the side, focusing on getting the turn-side foot back and stepping the far side foot further forward to make it easier to dip the shoulder on the turn side.

Watched much of the Jeff Glover DVD today. Some good basic stuff that I'll definitely be looking to incorporate into my half guard game over the next several weeks.

Probably not going to do the GB Invitational on Saturday. There aren't any belts higher than blue who've signed up and, to tell the truth, I'm not sure how I feel about hanging around the Bellevue academy for a couple of hours for one match. I could change my mind. But it's not likely. As Clint used to say, I'm just not feeling the fire.

The Revolution is still part of the plan - though I would really like to start clocking in at closer to 157 or 158 at the most post-train. What worries me is that if I'm over the limit AFTER a rough training session, I don't even want to know what I'm weigh-in as walk-around weight.

So nothing but water, tea and an apple tomorrow. Whether that will be enough to sustain two conditioning sessions and a jiu jitsu workout tomorrow evening will remain a mystery until tomorrow night about this time.