Thursday, May 27, 2010

Training Day: Thursday

Nice to get Thursday's back into the rotation. There was a time when training on Thursday night was as much a Prime Directive as ATM (Always Train Mondays). That was back in the "hippie" days of GB Seattle when every class was a kingdom in and of itself, from Cindy's rock 'n' roll gymnastic no gi to Lindsey's "Hounds of the Ground" inspired jiu jitsu.

In a number of ways, tonight's class - although gi'd, curriculum-centered and Nightwing-free - reminded me a bit of those old days. I've never been a big fan of authoriTIE, but I always appreciate when those who are in charge are in charge. At the risk of sounding like an American circa October 2002, something about it just makes me feel a little less vulnerable to chaos.

Good review on the B fundamentals' work. The escape from the front headlock (drop back to S-mount armlock), with a nice detail to break the headlock grip, was one highlight. In training, I'm still struggling to implement this week's game plan of the knee block transition in half guard. I'll work on it some more on Friday. But this may mean that Week Two will be devoted to the knee block transition, as well. Whatever it takes to get it right. The fact of the matter is that if I can get that knee block integrated into things, just about everything else I'm trying to do out of half guard will be that much easier. So it is more than worth it to give it other week or two if necessary. There really isn't a "next step" until I get this in place.

One other note: I may actually be getting the hang of the single underhook pass off Saulo's Crab Pass Posture/inside control. That, combined with the guard pass from the A fundamentals (the "A" frame, step-over to backstep), may really provide me with something I've really lacked: a Grand Unified Field Theory of passing the guard.

Actually, to both tell the truth and to steal a line, I've know what I've wanted in a Grand Unified Theory of passing the guard. I've just not known how to go about getting it.

This week's lesson was a great leap forward in that regard - and another reason why I can't imagine ever not taking Fundamentals classes along with the rest of the program. Even though there are times when I feel a little overwhelmed by all the information, that information is always valuable. And the fact that I'm starting to get a little buffed up in a major area of weakness - all thanks to all this Fundamental classes - speaks for itself.

159.2 on the scale post-train. Excellent number for Week One after a day off on Wednesday (during which much meat was consumed).