Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Training Day: Tuesday

Car troubles kept me away from the academy on Monday. But I was planning to train Tuesday anyway since this is officially Pre Week, the week before my 8 Weeks Out for the July Revolution.

Training on Tuesday also gives me a chance to get in second competition training (the other competition training day being Friday). While three competition training days a week would probably be better and doable, there's an argument that two a week will be plenty. This may be all the more so given my incredible, wood-knocking, injury-free streak.

Competition training days are great. And I think two a week will be fine, all things considered. What I really need to do is find a few training partners, a few guys (or gals) who are competing this Saturday and in July who just want to drill their best stuff, half-speed, to get the circuits and the "muscle memory" built out, so to speak, in preparation for competition training days and the real deal this summer.

This, in short, was Griff's advice. It's also part of the "best practices" of every serious competitor in anything anywhere. I don't have to go "live" more than twice a week. But if I could spend even 10 minutes before or after training every session working on Rip Cord or Roll Out, Old School or Twist Back, the Vella Spider Guard Smash or PTMU ... that's my first tournament win in more than a year right there.

Think about it: in a week that's 40 minutes, a full hour a week if you spend 15 minutes before or after every class working on ONE SPECIFIC FUNDAMENTAL MOVE IN YOUR GAME. That's a whole class every week just on one move. Not just playing around with something fancy that you saw in a video and want to try for yourself, but your very own bread and butter, arroz e feijao jiu jitsu, the kind of stuff that will save your ass when you are are exhausted, or maybe even one of these days get you the win.