Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Werdum On Werdum

I think Fabricio is being a little too hard on himself. In some ways, I thought we saw a version of what Demian Maia has been able to do in terms of coming up with innovative ways to take the fight to the ground. A part of me sees this fight and says, Werdum was interested in an MMA match, while Overeem insisted on K-1 rules.

It's always worth remembering that MMA is not vale tudo. There are more than a few rules (gloves, time limits, standups) that work against the jiu-jitsu fighter in MMA, and it will take a continuous process of evolution to make the art of jiu-jitsu once again the dominant martial art in the sport of mixed martial arts.

That said, a thousand props to Werdum for being a true mensch and being willing to be self-critical. It's a lesson for all of us when disappointment seems to be almost overwhelming.

Werdum: That Wasn't Me Fighting Overeem
I’m sad because I know I could have won that fight,” Werdum lamented. “I showed a lot of improvement in my striking game, but I wanted to do some jiu-jitsu with him also. Everyone calls for me to strike, and I go. When I call people to my guard, they never go. I still want to see the K-1 champ, the guy who knocks everyone out in the first round. He didn’t show much, didn’t hit me hard enough to knock me down. I landed more punches and my mistake was to try so many times to pull him to my guard. I believe I lost to him, and not that he defeated me.”