Thursday, August 18, 2011

New (Training) Year Resolutions

Here's a table that represents my training frequency over the past three years (roughly from two-stripe blue belt to the present).
The most obvious thing that stands out to me is the lack of consistency. There are months when my training is 17 or higher. And then there are months in the single digits (each training year had at least two single-digit training months.

In my best training year (Aug 2009 - July 2010), I trained 162 times, averaging more than 3 times a week and 13.5 times a month.

It's funny to think of that as my best year when I break it down like that. I'd like to believe that training 15 times a month (essentially "every other day") isn't an especially heavy training schedule - roughly a 3/4/4/4 four-week cycle. But it's interesting to see that even a basic schedule like that would easily top my best training year ever (15x/month = 180x/year).

So, setting out on my seventh year in jiu jitsu, training year 2012, consistency is going to be my number one goal. The track record of having at least two single-digit months suggests that I'm going to have to build that into the model. But if I can keep those to the high, single-digits - assuming they happen at all - then the possibility of topping my 2010 training year numbers remains strong.

There are a few other new jiu jitsu training year resolutions I'm making this week. But this one is at the top of the list.