Saturday, December 31, 2011

Meditations on Dream, Or

the nightmare of not a single fight in UFC 141 meriting a Submission of the Night bonus ...

NEW YEARS EVE, Burien. I'm watching the Dream broadcast for New Year's Eve (24 hours afterwards) and not missing elbows on the ground for a minute.

Truth told, vale tudo > MMA, as far as I'm concerned (and I love MMA). So my vote against elbows on the ground in MMA has nothing to do with a tenderness of spirit. But to the extent that MMA is a "sport" rather than a "fight", I think banning elbows on the ground in MMA would create an even more watchable "sport" than the one we have now (especially when it comes to ground fighting).

Ever since MMA fighters were allowed to wear gloves, MMA stopped being a "fight". Sometimes I try to imagine what the functional equivalent of "gloves" would be for a jiu-jitsu fighter or a wrestler. No slamming to escape a submission? No standups and too much "dancing" on the feet stopped and "restarted" on the ground or in the clinch?

Just sayin'. Back to Dream. Go Crusher.