Saturday, January 28, 2012

Training Day: Saturday

I've said it before: there is nothing better than training on a Saturday morning/afternoon.

One of the best things about today's training was getting to work on two passes of my 3 Blind Mice half-guard pass series: the knee cross and the cross wedge. The timing couldn't have been better since I was just thinking about how I need to tighten up my pass game in general, and my half-guard passing game in specific.

I felt like I had a lot of energy for today's training, and was moving much better - especially from the guard - than I have in a long time. I never, ever attack with traditional moves from the closed guard. But today I was able to attack effectively with both armbars and omoplatas from the guard. Again, it is hard to say how surprising it was - and I'm going to credit the little bit of closed guard drilling I did literally one week ago today for giving me the muscle memory to launch into those attacks when the opportunity presented itself.

Finished up with some HICT work (five minutes of hipscape laps) and cardiac output (three 1-min rounds of spin move). Again, felt very good energy-wise with max HR at 160 BPM at the end of all sessions. I'm really starting to think that there is something to be said for the Warrior Diet/Longevity Diet approach of keeping calories low and activity high. Not only does it seem to make it a lot easier to train longer, but it's probably the easiest way to a walking-around weight nearer a buck fi'ty.

Speaking of which, 160.4 on the scale, post-train, dressed to yonder nines as shall be the custom going forward.

P.S. Someone please tell me what the hell happened with Demian Maia tonight. He looked more sluggish out of the gate than I've ever seen him. I wouldn't be surprised if we find out that there was some sort of issue during training camp, like an illness or something, that affected his stamina.