Friday, May 25, 2012

Training Day: Friday

Adventures in Animal Planet kept me from making what I'd planned to be a full day of training much like Wednesday.  As it turned out, I ended up doing much of the old routine of off-mat conditioning and then joining the class when Live Training came around.

Three rolls today: Chaim, Mark, and Angela.  A diverse set, which is nice insofar as I get to work on different things with different types of people.  Chaim had me in the same bad position that Professor Sean did on Wednesday: an old habit of staying in "the middle" when in half guard and not attacking more consistently.  It's no surprise that I'm having this problem when dealing with guys who've got 20-25 pounds on me, which makes it all the more important to be wary of getting stuck in bad positions.

Half chance at training tomorrow on Saturday.  My heart is desperate for more jiu-jitsu.   But my body is coming along a lot slower, especially as I try to jump right back in pretty much where I left off three weeks ago.  If the chance comes, of course, I'll take it.  I'll just have to be careful of what I do and with whom I do it.  Late in the training day, guys my size start to disappear and I end up training with some of the toughest folks on the mat when I'm at my least dynamic.  There are ways of making the best out of situations like this - drills, specific training, etc. - and I may have to start taking advantage of them.

159.3 on the scale, post-train.  Still making that sub-160 print.  I heard through the grapevine that the Youth Grappling Classic for June 9th has been cancelled, which is a bummer on a couple of different fronts.  Hopefully, it's just an excess of summer vacations, and that the kids will be back in action this fall.