Tuesday, January 15, 2013

ICP Me

Just turned in my essay for the Instructor Certification Program and, if all goes well, I should be receiving my ICP4 certificate in a few days.

Redoubling my efforts to finish this course on time has helped repair the hole burned into my jiu-jitsu soul back near the beginning of the month. There's more work to do. But focusing on what Prof Almeida referred to as "the new global" has been a nice compliment to my "Marcelo Garcia rule" (a rule that helped wean me off MMA message boards years ago).

I'll post the essay later. I decided to go the less toxic route, choosing to remember what's great about jiu-jitsu rather than lament. At the end of the day, I can't help but wonder if turning away is the most appropriate response. Save my energy for the fights I can win, the people I can help, the differences I can make.

A great time last Friday night for GB Seattle's first "Over 40" class. Although I'm leery about being out of the house for two Fridays in a row, I'm very much looking forward to the next chance I get to teach the class. That said, I'll get some of my teaching jones satisfied with the early bird class Friday morning.