Thursday, January 10, 2013

Positive Jiu-Jitsu Space? Priceless

Another nice night on the mat.  I still weigh a ton, and can feel it every time I try and move to keep up with some of our young guns.  But there are few things in life right now that compare with the joy of a good night on the mats.  Coach Ed said it best after we finished a sparring round after class: "I wish I could live here."

Wednesday was tripod sweep and taking the back from closed guard.  Tonight, we worked the scissors sweep and the scissor sweep transition to the armbar.  Five black belts on the mat helping the class.  Awesome.

To do for me: work on deep half defense, lose some #(*%&@ weight, finish the ICP4 course by Saturday and start the technique essay.

Really appreciated being in a good jiu-jitsu space.  If I let my mind wander, I end up in the "desert of the real" to steal a phrase, so I'm trying to keep busy, stay occupied and, quite frankly, avoid Facebook and anywhere else I'm likely to encounter news that makes me want to move to Mercury.

163.4 on the scale post train.  That's not so good.  On the other side of things, I'm teaching the am class at 6:30 tomorrow and the new "Over 40" class at 6 pm tomorrow evening.  It will be a long day, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't incredibly excited to have this kind of responsibility.

I really want to make sure I take advantage of the incredible training partners I've got right now.  The golden age of training (May-October 2012) may have ended, but there's still plenty of prospecting to do on those night and nooners I am able to return to the tatame.