Thursday, June 11, 2015

"And New Undisputed UFC Heavyweight Champion of the World ..."

I've had a jiu-jitsu crush on Fabricio Werdum ever since seeing a video of his uber-classy submission of Matt Lindland at ADCC 2003.


So call me biased about Vai Cavalo's upcoming UFC heavyweight title unification bout with Cain Velasquez, But I do think the world would be a better place if the Man Who Submitted Fedor was also known as the Man Who Finished Cain.

Disagree? Read this profile of Werdum and then explain to me how having a guy with this much talent, personality, and charisma as the official "Baddest Man on the Planet" wouldn't be the best thing to happen to mixed martial arts since rings became cages. 
Werdum, who tried to get a job at a petrochemical complex in Sapucaia do Sul but failing the test, celebrates sucking at other jobs and getting beat up by his ex-girlfriend’s ex-boyfriend. 
"If I never had accepted my girlfriend’s ex-boyfriend’s challenge, I would never start training jiu-jitsu," he said. "And thank God I failed that test, or I wouldn’t be where I am today. 
"And you see how things are. Ten years later, I submitted the best in the world, and now I’m fighting for the UFC heavyweight title."
I love me some Daniel Craig (having once been compared to him by a friend whose generosity on this point will never be forgotten). But if Fabricio wins the title this Saturday, they ought to cast him as the next Bond.


Prediction: Werdum defeats Velasquez (Triangle/Armbar) - Round Four