Friday, November 04, 2005

Guard Passes

I think that as far as standing guard passes are concerned, lunges are a better resistance exercise than squats. I'm not stepping deep enough into the stack. I wind up with both feet side by side which makes me vulnerable to a sweep. Lunge deep. Turn to the side. Palm the knee and hip out.

Like this.

Here's a nice example of passing the guard with double underhooks.

The key is something I'm figure out bit by bit--keep as little distance between you and the other guy as possible. Space is a tool of defense.

I did a pretty good job of defending triangles and armbars by keeping tight and not extending myself. I want to be the center of gravity around which he revolves, like light around a black hole. Sooner or later he falls into the submission--or at least the inferior position.

That's what I love about my avatar at the Sherdog.com forum. The scene from the movie Alien. The ultimate submission.