Monday, January 02, 2006

Back to the Mat

Looking forward to my first day back training in what feels like a month. I've only missed three classes--though at this point in my development, each one of those classes probably counts for close to three classes in one.

I'm still glad for the tape work. There's so much to learn. But most important is learning how to learn. I still feel like a wrestler, a submission wrestler at best, but still a wrestler at root. I'm sure it's just a semantic difference for many if not most. But for me, jiu jitsu is about taking what the opponent gives you--instead of attempting to dictate what move is next in a given attack. The latter just feels like what wrestlers do. And it is something I am trying to force myself away from.

I can hear in the occassional remarks from Rodrigo, or what Paul (the Brown) had to say about George (the Blue), the difference. Rodrigo has been exhorting us to move our bodies more, to rely less and less on upper body strength and to keep working for better and better position. He's right, of course, but I can't help but think it is a realization that just has to hit you while you are on the mat sometime. Intellectually, I can know what I'm supposed to do. But getting my body to do it is more than half the trick.

I was watching Eddie Bravo against Leo Veira the other night. (As much as I love Sherdog, I'm going to be spending more and more "message board time" over at the boards at jiujitsugear.com.) Although Veira was completely dominant and Bravo was derided for being a "buttscooter" with no top game, it was worth watching. If anything, I have precious little "bottom game" and watching Bravo try and ward off Veira was instructive--even in Bravo's failure.

Here's a link to the video from that fight.

Leo Veira v. Eddie Bravo

In other news, it looks like abhaya.ca is no longer providing those great clips of different training techniques. If I'd have been thinking about it, then I would have downloaded all those bad boys. But you tend to think that good things like that will always be around. Makes me feel like a schmuck for not PayPal-ing them a few rubles when it might have mattered. I'll have to remember that next time.