Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Live from Side Control

Not a bad class, tonight. We worked out of side control after a warm-up by Cindy. The techniques were familiar: trapping the arm with your own gi and moving your head back and forth to keep the arm from reaching over your shoulder or under your head. When the arm comes back down, you grip it for the kimura (reverse hips to northside and step over the head as you crank back the kimura) or the straight arm lock. I worked with Mario, who is always good to train with.

I didn't do so well in the live drill. I always have a focus problem when we move from the technique drill to the live drill--and that was in evidence tonight. I worked with Jesse the White (now sporting one of those black gis), and really didn't feel as if I did very well. Training with bigger guys like Jesse--and the white belt in the blue gi I sparred with afterward--really exposes my lack of technique at this point.

I did somewhat better during sparring (I asked the guy if he would might starting in my guard, which was no problem), it terms of using my legs more and not just clinging in closed guard (which I still did too much of). The guy was very good at standing up in the guard, even though I was able to get the omoplata sweep on him twice (though not to a complete sweep unfortunately).

Classes are looking to move from Tuesday and Thursday to Monday and Wednesday in February. I kind of like the current schedule, but having Thursday and Friday off will be a nice way to finish off the work week. I'll still try and train every other Saturday morning.

I've done a pretty crummy job of my morning cardio this year. The flu didn't help. But I'm finding it hard to get back to the discipline I had late last year when I was doing four mornings a week on the treadmill.

A few aches and pains. My left shoulder is still pretty sore--though it doesn't seem to get in the way of my jiu jitsu training. And I've got a bad ring finger on my right hand--probably just a jam or mild sprain. It doesn't get in the way of training much, either.