Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Position Drills and Half-guard Sweeps/Escapes

Rodrigo's neck is still tweaked. So Cindy taught tonight's class.

We started off with Cindy's warm-up routine: heavy on the tumbling and ab work (which is probably a good hint of what I should be working more on).

The techniques started off with a position drill where you go from side control to mount to side control to north/south to side control. An excellent, excellent drill as far as I'm concerned. I have a bad habit of remaining in one position when I get top position, and this drill helps remind me to keep it moving until I find the right position for an attack.

The trick is that there is a position--I call it the modified scarf hold position--before going into north/south that is a little tricky. Thursday if she's there I might ask her after class to show me the "stations" again. I'll make written notes in my bjj journal to help me remember the different positions. Again, a very, very good drill for me.

The other techniques involved half guard sweeps. The first had us getting an overhook and then using the "triangle push up" to create space and get an underhook. From here, scoot out that side by grabbing his wrist (the one that is around your head) and doing what Cindy called the "dog leg hump" which should allow you to shake the guy off of you somewhat.

The move from here reminds me a little of the Hansen half-guard sweep in the "extras" on my ADCC DVD. You swing yourself out and around and take the back.

The variation Cindy showed us had you going for an armbar--in case you were blocked from getting that far hook in while trying to take the back. With the armbar variation, you reach back over the head (on the side that you were shrimping from) and grab the wrist. Then you turn your body away from the guy while bringing your outside leg up. Eventually, you want to put your shin on the back of his neck while you pull the guy's arm out into an armlock. You are sort of upside down while doing it. You'll know you're in the right position if you are looking at his feet as your rotate your body.

If you can't get the arm out, then one variation is to grab his foot and roll him over so that you are on your back. From here, you can do a more traditional armbar attack.

Notes on sparring:

Tonight I rolled with Mario, then Jesse the White and then Bruce. Mario and Jesse were back to back, and I didn't have nearly as much energy for Jesse as I would have liked or needed.

What I liked about my sparring tonight was my switching from mount to left and right S-mount with Mario. I've always been afraid to change top position for fear of getting reversed. This, of course, is where Cindy's drill will come in handy as soon as I can get it down. I need to remember to grab the near collar when in S-mount, so that I'm in the "Saulo Ribeiro" position to apply the choke or the armlock.

What didn't I like about my sparring tonight? For some reason, I just didn't work hard enough to get out of the guard. This was a big problem when I was rolling with Jesse. I don't know what I was thinking--maybe I was gassed. But I didn't try a single standing pass--and I know better. I tried the Saulo Ribeiro ground pass and did manage to almost pass Jesse's guard. But I got stuck in the scarf hold position and he caught up with me and put me back in his guard. I need to remember to go from scarf hold to north-south--or even a real side control with my knee in the hip. Again, the drill that Cindy showed us tonight will be one worth working on.

Notes for Thursday: More standing guard passes. If I'm having a hard time sweeping a guy because his posture is good, then I need to break his balance. One way I want to try is to go to the butterfly guard. Hooks inside, bear hug and rock him back toward me. If he goes very easily, then I might just be able to take him vertical and then over to one side. If he doesn't, then at least I've broken his balance, and might be able to more effectively sweep him with a scissors sweep or something.

I also want to work on escaping from back control. I need to go to my side--the side away from the choke attempt. Another way of looking at it is that I want the guy's elbow to be pointing straight up. Grab the wrist to relieve the pressure with one hand and work to unhook the hook that is between me and the mat with the other hand.