Monday, April 03, 2006

April GGP: Monday, April 3

Not a great job of following the GGP, at all in Monday's practice. I'd like to blame a late start caused by exceptionally bad traffic for putting me off my mark. But the fact of the matter remains that I didn't do very many of the things I highlighted in my GGP.

The two most glaring problems were improving my position from side control/half guard and executing my GGP while on the bottom in guard.

With regard to improving my position from side control/half guard, I didn't get a single armbar, kimura or keylock submission. When I was rolling with a new guy (Ryan?), a white belt my size, he caught me in a pretty solid Lockdown that had my leg trapped in his half-guard and wouldn't let go. He also had an underhook that I should have pummelled him for--but he didn't do anything with it (much to Rodrigo's consternation). Eventually I did work the elbow over hip switch escape to mount--or some variation of it--but I wasn't effective from the mount.

A note on that point: I need to get deeper into the collar when I'm trying to execute a choke. I still am far, far too shallow. My hand should be as far behind the guy's head as possible.

I also had my problems with being on the bottom in side control. I need to be more aggressive about getting out of side control and, if not reversing entirely, then getting to my knees or to half-guard are critical. I was in this situation with both Arnell and a new white belt whose about 180. I eventually managed to wrestle into a better position. But it took WAY too much energy to do so. That's what the GGP is for: to help me move as quickly as possible into the most advantageous and familiar positions as possible.

Side control bottom -> Half-guard with Lockdown -> Half-guard with Lockdown and double underhooks -> Sweep (Old School/Twist Back)

Another note: my back control is just terrible. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. But I'm having a hard time with both my hooks and my Marcelo grip. I need to work on that--getting back control is a big, big deal.

On the bottom from the guard. Ugh. The good news is that Rodrigo showed us a sweep that I'd like to add to my GGP (along with the scissors and hip heist sweeps). The bad news is that except for a roll with Adam, I didn't implement it or any of the rest of my April GGP as far as guard work from the bottom is concerned.

Most of the time I was on the bottom in the guard was against the new, 180 guy. He had strong arms and kept his elbows in tightly. I tried to work the guillotine, but when that stalled, I couldn't transition to the kimura or the omoplata because he did a good job of keeping his elbows in.

When this happens, it is paramount to break his posture and stretch him out by stepping on the hip and pulling on the arm. That will give me the space to try both kimuras and omoplatas, as well as sweeps. When a guy in your guard has a solid base, you have to undermine the base first and foremost. Step on the hip and go through your hand game (double wrist push/pull, wrist cross collar arm stuff, wrist cross tricep) until he gives you something.

Don't be afraid to go for armbars and triangles from the guard. Watching 101 Submissions Volume 2 last night reminded me of how "easy" it can be to set up a triangle. Any time you've got a leg over a guy's shoulder and a leg under the opposite arm, you're ready to attack with a triangle choke.

Don't worry about getting the form perfect at first. If you get what is basically an overhook / underhook with your legs, then first lock your legs behind him by hooking your feet (overhook side on top). From that position, work on bringing the trapped arm toward you, straightened out. Don't worry about bending it and getting it across your body first. Just get control of it. The fact that you've underhooked the trapped arm and locked your legs will make it harder for him to get his arm back.

There are three things to do from here: (1) move legs from "scissors" position to "triangle" position, (2) pull the arm out and then across your body to the opposite side and, (3) pull down on the head and finish off the choke. The first two you can more or less try and do simultaneously. The last is a finishing move. Don't worry about that step until you've successfully completed steps one and two.

This should help me get into the triangle must faster and easier. I've really avoided trying this submission because I thought you had to fall into step (1) immediately. As Saulo would say, "But is not!" Just get the overhook / underhook and a good grip on the underhooked arm. Hook your feet to get the scissors. Once you get there, the guy is in trouble. Then just move through steps 1-3. Instant triangle. And you can still transition to armbar or omoplata from here if the triangle doesn't work--though remember that you should abandon it before the guy forces you to.

Nothing to panic about. A bad day disguised as an okay day. But let's get back to the GGP, ASAP!