Thursday, April 27, 2006

Eureka Moments in Jiu Jitsu

I had another eureka night last night during class. It reminded me a little of the last eureka night I had on April 12th--the last night the Demon Jiu Jitsu guys were training with us. Then, it was chokes and scissor sweep that I was hitting with reguarlity that provided the eureka moment. Last night the chokes were there (I swear I use chokes more than any other white belt I've trained with!), but what really seemed to click was guard passing.

Guard passing?!?! Did I just say guard passing?

You betcha. I finally think I've found the key details that have made my guard passing so terrible. The little primer I posted not too long ago not withstanding, it appears as if it is the little things that have been undermining my guard passing game.

With the standing guard pass, it is important to pump your hips back and forth while "pushing" (remember, we don't push the guy ...) on the knee. The count should be: stand-pump-pump-pump, then DROP to pass the opened guard by dropping your knee down on the lower leg of the newly opened guard. The guard shoud open by the second PUMP. But the third one is there for good measure, to make sure you have opened the guard. Stand! PUMP-PUMP-PUMP! Drop!

With the Saulo Ribeiro ground pass, the trick is to move both legs around as you move in the circle. I had been trying to do this move with my bent leg remaining strictly in place while I walked the other leg around behind me (i.e., from 4 o'clock around toward 6 or 7 o'clock). That won't work. What I've got to do--and finally did successfully in some sparring--is to pivot around on the knee of the bent leg as I walk the other leg around. The same "step out" position you start with, the same posture etc. is the one you maintain until the guard is opened. I just have to move BOTH LEGS, not just the outstretched "walk around" one.

It's always the little details. We'll see if any of this comes in handy Saturday morning at the tournament. But I already feel like my training will be a lot better over the next few months now that I've got some of the kinks worked out of my two main guard passes. I've always thought that if I could get guard passing down, I'd be a lot better because my work from the top is pretty strong.

Speaking of work from the top, I've been doing a better job of getting my elbow OVER when I'm attacking from side control. That's key not just to the kimura and keylock attacks, but also to having good top side control with my weight on the guy's upper body. I think the attack sequence from side control needs to be: kimura-keylock-Cindy's keylock to S-mount armbar, with the option of the straight armlock if I can hit it in between fighting for the kimura or keylock.

I also want to learn some good chokes from side control, in addition to the basic chokes from the mount. Not necessarily for Saturday. But definitely for things to work on over the summer.