Sunday, April 30, 2006

First Place

I won first place in the 158-146 division at the Pacific Northwest Jiu Jitsu Championships yesterday.

There only four of us in the division (there were five in the 145 and under division). So I had two fights, the second one for first and second place against a Gracie Barra guy from Vancouver I think.

I won both matches on points, basically from an overwhelming side control. The first fight, the guy tried a takedown and lost his balance early. I pounced on him, took him down, and got into side control instantly.

Rodrigo, fresh off his neck surgery, did a great job of coaching me. As did Cindy, whose voice I could also hear. I fought for a choke, transitioned to knee-on-belly, then north-south, then back to side control before time ran out.

The second fight was a little more difficult. We clinched up and fell to the ground on a take down attempt that I don't think he got points for. He did end up on top in side control and that may have been where he got his two points. While I was on the bottom, I heard his coach warn: "be careful, he's very strong." A few moments later I reversed him, turning away (which was the wrong direction, but I've gotten away with it) and powering him over.

I wound up in his guard. I never felt in danger of being swept or submitted. But I was down 2-0 and need to pass his guard and get to side control to win. I tried to stand a couple of times, but just couldn't get his guard open. I really, really need to work on guard passing if I'm going to play from the top.

Anyway, one of my efforts finally got his guard open and I shot through to side control. I was pretty tired and Rodrigo was coaching me to rest and relax. My side control was like a vise--just as in the first fight. Keep the grip tight and use your shoulder to press the guy's face away from you to make it harder for him to turn into you and elbow escape.

Rebecca took some pictures that I'm looking forward to seeing. And Griff, who came in second in his division, got some video. The blue belts from Gracie Barra: Robert, Tommy and Jesse all lost their first fights. Tommy got sandbagged by some guy from Demon Jiu Jitsu who Rodrigo said "had been training as long" as he had. That would be about 15 years! Some "blue belt." Tommy was pissed, and I don't blame them. Sandbagging is probably worst at blue belt.

Arnell fought and lost twice in his matches. It was his first tournament and a good experience to get under his belt.

Hopefully these losses will motivate them to really work hard over the next months leading into the fall tournaments. I am about as excited about training as you could imagine. I think this will be the fuel to get me back on my morning cardio/workout routines four mornings a week. I got a little tired in my second fight, and I want my cardio to be much better.

Even though 158-146 isn't the deepest division, it is clearly where I need to be right now. Once my technique level matches my strength level, maybe I'll move up to 171-159. But that would require deliberately trying to gain weight, which I've avoided doing. Besides, that the division that Jesse Singh fights at--though probably soon enough as a blue belt. From a team perspective, it is nice to have somebody at 145 and under and somebody at the next level up. A new white belt, Lindsey, fought at 172-184 and placed second I think. That covers all the lower weights.

Anyway, I'll do more analysis of how I did, how well I followed the gameplan, and any other general observations later. For now, I'm happy that the work I have put in since December and Copa Northwest 6. My record is now 3-2, but still no submission victories. That's where I need to improve next.