Friday, December 21, 2007

First Six Weeks

In one sense, I'm ecstatic that I managed to complete my six-week strength and conditioning program, the one I set out for myself in part as preparation for training in 2008. Although I missed a workout today since I'm in Tucson, and couldn't do much on Thursday either, the six weeks were a success in terms of doing what I had set out to do.

What was not so successful was my on-the-mat training, which was non-existent through this time. I refuse to be too hard on myself about it. The new job is without a doubt the most challenging gig I've yet to sign on to. And while I don't regret making the move for a second, it has meant sacrificing my on-the-mat time while I got acclimated to the new schedule (and while I waited for my Cobra to kick in).

I'll be back in Seattle on Thursday afternoon, the 27th. Ideally, on the 30th, I'll swing by the new Sunday conditioning class that Jesse is running in the new facility, say "hi" and see where I'm at conditioning-wise. I don't expect to be in great shape, meaning great "jiu jitsu" shape. But I am hoping that the six weeks I've spent on the treadmill, rolling around on the carpet and tossing dumbbells around will keep me from looking completely godawful when I'm finally back on the tatame.

For January, the plan is to shorten the duration and up the intensity: Berardi, 3T and Beaster workouts, with maybe an LSD once a week. The Revolution tournament is scheduled for February 9th, and it will be in Seattle (West Seattle High), so it should be packed. If all goes well and I get the training in that I think I need, then I'm going to go ahead and get my competition hat back on.

By "training I think I need", we're talking three days a week, on average. Tuesday and Thursday nights for sure, with some more work Monday, Wednesday or Friday afternoons. Wednesday would be the easiest, followed by Monday and with Friday a distant third. In a perfect world, I'd get in both a Monday and a Wednesday, but there's no point in overpromising. Unfortunately, the way 2007 went, two days a week would be an accomplishment.

Lloyd Irvin says that it takes 21 days to break a bad habit. My goal will be to get in 21 top quality training session between now and February 9th--the day of the tournament. Practically, that is 21 sessions in five weeks, since the sixth week is the week of the event and I'd love to have worked hard enough in the previous five weeks to be able to decelerate some in the final week.

But I'm getting ahead of myself, a bit. As far as the recently-ended six weeks are concerned, I'm happy for the conditioning work I did, and happy about the resistance work I did. Chalk one up for the preseason. On the 30th we get ready for the real thing.