Sunday, May 11, 2008

Crossfit: Man Makers

I've got a theory about how conditioning for jiu jitsu is somewhat different from conditioning for grappling sports like wrestling or submission wrestling. The long and short of it that while strength and speed are factors in no gi competition, the presence of the gi significantly limits the effects of those attributes.

A lot of the strength in gi competition is isometric or endurance based: holding a particular grip on the lapel, for example, or working from a pin to a more dominant position. It is a different type of strength in holding down gi grips compared to the holds required in no gi competition, where no grip is likely to last for very long, at all.

I say all that to say this: I'm a born-again convert to the Crossfit approach to training. With the gi, you don't have to be stronger than your opponent--but you do need the muscular endurance and isometric strength to get and keep the grips that will help you lock your opponent's body and set them up for the submission.

I had been thinking again that I need to increase my raw strength--partly, I recognize, as a result of my shoulder injury. And there's still something to be said for that. Still, I'm convinced again that in the long run, a Crossfit-like approach--heavy on circuits, full body movements and Tabatas--is the way to go.

That said: here's the Crossfit workout (modified) I've incorporated into my conditioning so far. I did it on Saturday with lighter weights to make sure I didn't make my shoulder worse.

Man Makers

400m warmup (3 incline 3.9 mph)

One arm DB swings: 25 / 25
400m 6 incline 4.2 mph
One arm DB swings: 20 / 20
400m 7 incline 4.2 mph
One arm DB swings: 15 / 15
400m 8 incline 4.2 mph
One arm DB swings: 10 / 10
400m 9 incline 4.2 mph

400m Cool Down 9 (3 incline 3.6 mph)

I'll include Man Makers as one of the three conditioning workouts I'll do each week, along with the LSD session and, when my shoulder is better, the 3T.